Vegetarian perceptions of omnivores

The EA place for small talk.

Vegetarian perceptions of omnivores

Postby NAR » November 29th, 2009, 8:17 pm

I eat meat as well as other things. Anyway I think my Indian friend thought I wouldn't have vegetarian-friendly dishes for Thanksgiving because he kept saying one of the guests (a European not Indian) was vegetarian and he had to make vegetarian dishes on top of what I had. I told him what I was preparing but it seemed like he thought it wasn't REALLY "authentic" vegetarian. I was fine with having more dishes on the table but felt the purpose of his dishes was not to add to a diverse meal but that he didn't trust my vegetarian dishes. Am I taking this the wrong way? It's just he kept stressing "vegetarian."

I tried to explain the bird was the only non-vegetarian item...that everything else was vegetarian...some items even vegan. I often feel vegetarians think we omnivores don't eat non-meat products. What about you?

Furthermore the European kept complimenting how my dishes were good and reminded me of her mother's cooking. She didn't comment on his dishes.
NAR

Re: Vegetarian perceptions of omnivores

Postby bluemarlin » November 30th, 2009, 2:44 am

I will never be a vegetarian but I like/eat more veggies than meat. I can't stand eating together with picky people particularly that ones who think that the food world revolves around them and the pretentious ones who wants to be labeled vegetarian coz it's "in"-excuse me :roll eyes:
bluemarlin

Postby jean231 » November 30th, 2009, 10:31 am

Of course this is a topic I could talk about for hours. :mrgreen:

I know some vegetarians really want to show off, dissing the non vegetarians, etc. For me, it's not my case any longer.

OTOH, yeah, i'm inclined to influence people to switch to vegetarian diet. :mrgreen:

EDIT : still some worries about the vegetarian diet. Like vitamin B12, allegedly after five years of vegetarian diet, people get into trouble. So they have to take supplements. Plus of course stomach, digestive system have to get used to the non meat diet. People born vegetarian have non of those issues. Also there's this theory that today's society is not adapted for vegetarians, people need the 'meat stamina' to make it.
jean231

Postby mario » December 4th, 2009, 2:28 am

i notice some vegetarians don't consider fish and other seafood to be meat. it's as if seafood is a different category than meat. it might be a Judeo-Christian thing, like during Lent on fridays fish is allowed but not "meat".

do you guys think crabs, lobsters, shrimp, and fish are "meat" :?:
mario

Postby jean231 » December 4th, 2009, 11:03 am

mario wrote:i notice some vegetarians don't consider fish and other seafood to be meat. it's as if seafood is a different category than meat. it might be a Judeo-Christian thing, like during Lent on fridays fish is allowed but not "meat".

do you guys think crabs, lobsters, shrimp, and fish are "meat" :?:

It's all living beings that are concerned. For the vegetarians. So yeah that includes of course fishes, and all the 'sea food'.

EDIT : really it all depends of people's decision. There's no 'vegetarian' dictator laws. Some vegetarians still consider themselves vegetarian while indulging in eating fish and sea food. I think the 'living beings' thing is more a spiritual/esoteric thing. Not to kill/eat live beings.
jean231

Postby jean231 » December 4th, 2009, 11:22 am

Point is one cannot argue that modern science has proved that meat is not good for people. So yeah, in that sense this is not arguable scientifically right now (although it could in the future).
jean231

Postby siddharta5 » December 19th, 2009, 11:43 pm

If you eat meat, then you should kill your own meal.
Why should someone else have to commit the kiling for you.
You try to kill a chicken and chances are you will never eat one again.
Go see the documentary film "abattoir" and I promiss you will be a vegetarian soon after.
If you kill animals, it makes it easier to abuse animals and humans.
It's psychological.
If your idea of meat is something at the supermarket wrapped in cellophane, you live in a very privileged world and you need to stop being a hipocrit.
It ain't sophisticated to spill blood.
It's only OK if you give respect to life and understand that death is part of it.
FAN
siddharta5

Postby jean231 » December 20th, 2009, 10:15 am

Hey FAN, glad you joined !

Are you a vegetarian too ? I switched to the vegetarian diet only 2 and half years ago now.

Like Paul Mc Cartney said, I heard it on TV. He reported that he saw fishermen getting fishes and slamming them dead and then realized that fishes want as much to live as us !

EDIT : google search :

http://www.gigwise.com/news/41487/fish- ... vegetarian

"Many years ago, I was fishing, and as I was reeling in the poor fish, I realized, 'I am killing him - all for the passing pleasure it brings me.'

"And something inside me clicked. I realized as I watched him fight for breath, that his life was as important to him as mine is to me."
jean231

Postby Turbo » December 21st, 2009, 4:10 am

Meat enhances physical strength and vitality, it's the main source for vitamin B12, it contains iron, faster-absorbing phosphorus, amino acids, and higher concentrations of protein.
Also, vegetables don't contain any creatine; this subsistence can provide extra muscular energy, and slightly more intellectual resourcefulness (including increased memory capacity).

It's easier to gain these nutritional benefits from eating meat, lean meat like chicken breasts is the way to go.
Turbo

Postby jean231 » December 21st, 2009, 10:30 am

Hey, lots of stuff I hadn't heard about, creatine, faster absorbing phosphorus. Will enquire that. I know about vitamin B12 depletion.

Anyway, I don't want to sound hypocrit, cause yeah, it's only a couple of years I've done not eating meat, and still last year I bought foie gras and smoked salmon.

Plus I don't have to do the 9 to 5 work day. In that case there's the pressure of being fit, etc. So yeah, meat at lunch, etc.

Also if one believes in the karma thing, I don't know exactly how eating meat affects that. I agree I'm influenced by the hinduism culture.

Also they say coffee, alcohol, is as bad as meat. In the way it affects the brain. I know all that stuff is not widely known in the western culture.

But yeah, all that is a luxury.
jean231

Return to The EA Cafe Bar